Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
[RED] Recognition

Who's Online
None

SaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFriday
B'Day - Mirakle Ablaze
B'Day - Euron(Danny)
B'Day - SonicBoomS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Awakened To Redemption Forum Index -> Community Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatonastick
Initiate

re: SWTOR Oceanic servers closing.

Hi all, well it sounds as if they will be shutting down the Oceanic servers still as from June 4th on all people with characters on the Oceanic servers will be able to transfer them to any other non-Oceanic server.

Doesn't mean I'll be returning to SWTOR but I will be moving my characters to the official RED server. My issue is that the US servers are far too laggy for my liking -- especially for PvP. This is fairly common for Aussies as most MMO servers are in the US and our connection to the US mainland seems to be via tin cans and bits of string, hence our speed tends to be bad no matter what our speed our local connection runs at. GW 2 though, for some reason, doesn't seem to have that issue (for me). At least, not all the time. Being able to play SWTOR locally with a latency of 40ms was fantastic. Being reduced to 250 to 300+ ms on the US servers is not so great and quite frankly makes PvP a horrible experience.

My only hope for a sci-fi (ish) game now that might be half decent is Wildstar. I used to play STO as well, but that's just as bad for me as far as lag is concerned. Fantasy isn't really my thing but until something else comes along I'll be staying with GW 2. Of course that's assuming that Wildstar gives me a more GW 2 style experience as far as laggy network connections goes than something like SWTOR...

My ideal MMO situation is one fantasy game (GW 2) and one sci-fi one. I can then flit between them and be much less likely to burn out on the theme. Problem is there isn't currently any decent (IMHO at least) sci-fi MMO's out there just now.

Christian, poet, programmer, game designer, writer, occasional artist, amateur pinecone phrenologist, blinking light and part-time researcher of the tea-cosy placebo effect.
RedeemedJedi7
SWTOR Officer

Yeah, Rahvin has some of the same issues, being in Australia. He'd be the one to talk to for any tips on ways to make the lag any better, if it's possible.

"You never know how much you really believe anything until its truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life and death to you."
Hatonastick
Initiate

Ill be moving back to The Harbinger (which was my original US server):
- It's PvE.

- I've already got a level 40+ there who was stranded during my move from there to the Oceanic servers and who already has my legacy name so I wont lose that at least during the move.

- It's much faster for me than the official RED server at 200-210ms compared to 250-300ms. Might not sound like much of a difference but it is noticeable during combat. I also get fewer lag spikes there.

Sorry.

Christian, poet, programmer, game designer, writer, occasional artist, amateur pinecone phrenologist, blinking light and part-time researcher of the tea-cosy placebo effect.
SaintVassago
SWTOR Officer

How about Ebon Hawk? There's a lot of our members that play on that server. It is a PVE server as well.

Yay, free transfer for my lv 30 toon that I haven't played since they fixed the US servers so that there was more than me and one other person on at a time.

I know what you mean about the lag Hat, but I find that I can cope with it most of the time. Also sometimes simply re-starting my computer when it gets really bad somehow helps fix it.

Maybe if you still moved 1 or 2 toons to the Prophecy of the Five. Yeah you might still have to deal with some 200-300ms lag, but if you mainly join us for raids/ops that is easily manageable. And we have a great time as a group on teamspeak as well.

Hatonastick
Initiate

Edit: Sorry, in hindsight I never should have started this thread. I'm not entirely sure why I did now as it serves no purpose and hasn't helped that some of my replies are borderline belligerent for no real reason. I'd delete the thread if I could and apologize.

SaintVassago
SWTOR Officer

No worries, bro. Just as long as you're happy, and comfortable playing whatever you enjoy, then we're all in full support. God bless you! And Happy Gaming!!

SaintVassago wrote:
How about Ebon Hawk? There's a lot of our members that play on that server. It is a PVE server as well.

Ebon Hawk is technically an RP server.
Hatonastick
Initiate

Hi guys, just to let you know I moved almost all of my characters to The Harbinger as I said and I've been playing SWTOR a lot since then -- hardly been back to GW2 at all lately (just in case the GW2 group were wondering where I disappeared to). While it is lonely there I'm finding I can live with the (bad compared to Oceanic obviously) ping I get with the west coast servers. I did move one character to the official RED server Prophecy of the Five but I don't play that one much as really it's my nephews creation. Oh, and to top it off he's Sith not Republic. Happy

The downside of F2P I'm finding is the large amount of trolling, perverse conversations and other garbage you get when people no longer fear being banned. In 15 minutes one particularly bad morning my ignore list went from 0 to almost 40 before I decided to just turn General off (which I've never had to do in SWTOR before). Anyway, as it is a little lonely (don't get me wrong, I chose The Harbinger accepting that would likely be the case) I may end up eventually seeking another Christian guild, but for now random groups and other people I'm meeting have helped keep life interesting. Happy

-Odid-
Community Commander General

No biggy Hat... there is only 2-3 of us playing in GW2 anyway. Most are playing other games while others have disappeared. You have fun brother. Make sure you take time to have fellowship with us here and there to keep your mind sane!
Hatonastick
Initiate

Thanks mate. I do miss the crew I must admit. Happy

SaintVassago
SWTOR Officer

SWTOR has gotten pretty quiet lately, since the start of summer. No worries. We're still around, and hopefully you won't be too bored for too long.

Jump to: