Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
[RED] Recognition

Who's Online
None

SaturdaySundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFriday
B'Day - Mirakle Ablaze
B'Day - Euron(Danny)
B'Day - SonicBoomS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Awakened To Redemption Forum Index -> Community Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildbillkickoff
SWTOR Officer

re: Job Dissatisfaction

So, some things have changed at my workplace and I'm seeking a new job while continuing to work my current one. However, I've noticed my attitude about my job has changed much more significantly than I want it to-- to the point that I'm so focused on why I'm leaving that I'm having issues about even being at work.

I don't want to be a grumpy nurse. Grumpy nurses have patients who end up getting worse rather than better. Grumpy nurses are lousy representations of Christ. Grumpy male nurses end up being grumpy fathers and husbands.

So, how do I break myself out of this funk? Job satisfaction is so important to men-- we were designed to work, and derive quite a bit of our self-worth (whether or not that's correct) from our ability to provide. Any thoughts, be they Biblical or just practical, are welcomed, and prayer on this is coveted.

James 1:27
Micah 6:8

-Odid-
Community Commander General

Being that I have been in the same boat before. I changed my attitude when I asked God to give me opportunity to serve him by speaking to people about him or opportunity to serve others. You can start by praying for each patient silently, pray for the staff you work with, and then pray for those above you (Doctors, admin, anyone). I do not have a specific verse for it is a mindset to change, and you cannot do it without God's strength and courage to do so... remember:

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point. "- C.S.Lewis
Vly
Initiate

I understand your feelings and am sorry you are in this situation. God tells us to work hard as we are working for the him. He even tells slaves to serve their masters faithfully. We should approach work as we are working for God. Verses to come...

"Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil." Proverbs 4:26-27
StarScreame88
Redeemed

I recently went through something very similar. Dissatisfaction at my job was bleeding over into my ability to be a good husband and father. Its a really tough call to make, because like you said it is our God given duty to provide/work, and our families are our #1 earthly priority, so when the two conflict, it becomes complicated. I don't have much in the way of advice, just more of a, "you aren't alone in dealing with such a thing".
dchsknight
Initiate

I second vly. Remember you are not working for a company or for patients, you are working God. "46Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing." Matt 24:46.

Now this passage deals with end times, but I think it can apply here. Remember who you belong to and who you are really working for!

Pray through and man up!

. . you asked Bill! :P
Vly
Initiate

Here are some verses that I hope will help. I'm currently struggling a little at work as well. Not with my superiors or anyone I work with, but with the fact that I just don't want to go some days. I fall back on some of these verses. I hope they help.

Colossians 3:23
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,

Ephesians 6:5 - 9
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. 7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, 8 because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free. 9 And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.

I know we are not slaves at work, but theses verses in Ephesians really say it all.

"Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil." Proverbs 4:26-27
RedeemedJedi7
SWTOR Officer

all of the above and start each day hanging out with God. Let Him fill you up and satisfy you. It's hard, but if you're filled with Him, it's hard to have a bad day.

"You never know how much you really believe anything until its truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life and death to you."
Wildbillkickoff
SWTOR Officer

Ironically, or perhaps more accurately, providentially, my hospital has a prayer meeting on Tuesday mornings. I was asked approximately 3 minutes beforehand to "speak from the heart" and do a short lesson. Completely unprepared, I turned on my YouVersion and quickly searched for "masters" because the Colossians verse came to mind. So, I shared about my attitude and how I take comfort in Col 3:24-25, that while I do work for the hospital, ultimately it's Christ who I work to please.

Background: I've always been a "PRN" employee at the hospital, which means I work as needed-- no obligation for them to provide me hours or for me to work what they offer. It's been a great gig, because they always need people. However, I was told last week that I would be forced to work every other weekend (and therefore miss church every other weekend) if I wanted full time hours (which I never said I did to begin with). The boss man said I would be limited to four shifts a month if I didn't agree to come on board full time.

Hence, my attitude. I'm being forced to make a decision to sacrifice my short term financial security or my position as a worship leader. I know what choice I'm going to make (there's plenty of other jobs out there), but the danger is that I become bitter while I'm finishing out my time and damage my reputation, and by proxy my representation of Christ.

James 1:27
Micah 6:8

SaintVassago
SWTOR Officer

Wow, that's a tough choice. I honestly can't offer a suggestion either way myself. I've talked with people who have had to chose whether to work on Sunday and miss church, but as a worship leader, that's a bit different I think.

I think, honestly, God would be happy to see you thriving in either place. I don't think God would expect you to not take full-time hours, just to lead worship. He would definitely use you at your workplace just as easily as He would use you to lead worship.

Would it be possible to find a partner to help lead worship with you? Maybe you could take turns? It would be a great opportunity to disciple another worship leader in your church family, giving them an opportunity that they wouldn't normally have.

Also, I would strongly encourage an open dialogue with your employer on this, so that he understands that you're not trying to ditch work for church, but that you already have a committed responsibility on Sundays. Perhaps you guys could talk about taking some time to allow you to train up a replacement, before committing to working full time?

Just my thoughts. I know God's got a plan, and He's gonna use you either way. I'll keep praying for you.

It is tough, and I am more traditional in that I think that if people are going to start saying that they can ignore one of God's commandments (honour the Sabbath) what then is stopping them from ignoring the others as well? I even don't go shopping, or buy dinner or takeaway because that feels hypocritical saying that I won't work, but I will take advantage of those that do.

However, it is completely different for a job like being a nurse, or doctor, or police, firemen and other such things which are still needed to help and assist people on a Sunday (or Saturday). Jesus even showed this in how he healed and helped the sick on the Sabbath.

That being said, and getting back to the issue of the attitude to your work, yes we are called to work as for the Lord, but that also means that we should work where we can work as for the Lord. If you are struggling with your attitude and don't have the heart for it anymore, then maybe it is time for a career or workplace change where you can find joy in your work and worship God in your work, and also with your attitude to your work.

If that makes sense.... (writing this while listening to a lecture....)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Awakened To Redemption Forum Index -> Community Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: